Sunday, June 3, 2012

The path you take...

This week has been a very busy one both professionally and personally!! We had an amazing pro-d on reference and regulate with  David Loyst and I was fortunate to attend the district's debrief day on the Innovative Learning Designs project for year 1. While I learned a lot at both of these events, it was my weekend activities that really got me thinking. No...it wasn't the insane workout that Chris created for us this weekend at Peak Fitness, although I am still looking for volunteers to come with me for a free week this week!

On top of everything else we as teachers do in June, I have volunteered to work an extra 2 weekend days at my other job at Cartwheels Gymnastics. Why do I do this to myself every year in the second craziest month of the year (I still think September is crazier than June)? It's simple....I love seeing kids happy! It's why I teach, it's why I coach and it's why I spend 2 Sundays in June every year working at the year end recital for Cartwheels.

Today was extra special...it was the 10th annual year end show for the Richmond location. While I haven't worked there the whole 10 years, I have worked with the owners for the better part of my life. Katherine and Lisa have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I have come full circle with Lisa - she coached me and later in life, I coached her daughter Gina. Katherine and I have worked together on and off since I was 12 years old! I still remember Katherine calling me and telling me that she was leaving Phoenix Gymnastics to open Cartwheels.

These 2 women are part of the reason I became a teacher. They encouraged me when I was younger to achieve ALL my goals and as I got older saw something in me that they believed would make me a good coach. It was through coaching that I began to realize what I wanted to be when I grew up....a teacher!

This got me thinking about my path in life...what if I hadn't done gymnastics as a child? What is I hadn't injured myself at age 12? What if I wasn't lucky enough to be mentored by amazing women and pushed into coaching when I couldn't go back to training? Would I have still ended up as a teacher? I believe I wouldn't be teaching if it had not been for the wonderful coaches that came into my life.I am not sure where I would be, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't be in the classroom.

When I looked around the arena, I was very proud to see many of the gymnasts who I coached (way back when) either still in the sport or coaching. To me, that means that I have done my job as a coach. I hope that in some way I have inspired these young athletes to pursue whatever it is they wish to become in their life. One day I hope that my athletes and students will be able to inspire someone else to achieve their potential.

I leave you with this...who has inspired you to follow your dreams?

2 comments:

  1. A great post Jodi. What is interesting for me as I read this is that I have always been the one to push me forward. Granted I was (and am) very well loved by my parents growing up and the one thing they said over and over to me is that I make sure I do something that I love. Growing up I never actually thought I would become a teacher but i always did love helping those around me get better at what they were passionate about. Funny how I never saw that as my beginning to such a a truly wonderful career for me. I think when we follow what's in our hearts, the decisions we make are never wrong. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter what road you're on, I believe that "destiny struggles to reassertion the pattern that was meant to be" (Dean Koontz - Lightning). You are very fortunate you had these inspiring women in your life, but I'd bet that you'd still be a teacher, no less. It sounds like it's innate for you! Enjoy your time teaching this summer, and always! @joykirr

    ReplyDelete