Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A new year of wonder

Today was the first day of school...technically! Although I didn't get to spend much time with the 70 new Kinders today, I am super excited to spend some quality time with 18 of them tomorrow. I cant wait, even though I will admit I am probably just as nervous as they are!


There is something truly magical about the first day of school! I am so fortunate to work at a school where the staff and students are AMAZING!!! Although it has been 10 weeks since I have seen many of these faces, it seems like we never left. Conversations around the staff room tables seemed to pick up where we left off in June, except now the stories are about all the exciting things we did over the summer! As has become the tradition at my school, we all submit pictures of a summer memory to share at our welcome back meeting. It is a glimpse into our "real lives" and seems to bring the staff even closer together. Being around such great people and hearing their stories really does " re-charge my battery". My summer was exciting and busy, but had its bumps along the way! Listening to all the great things others did has inspired me to add to do list for next year.

One of my favourite part of the day was seeing some the familiar faces from last year. Although it has only been 10 weeks, so many of them seemed to have "grown up" over the summer. They seem so much bigger and mature then when I saw them last. I received tons of hugs, lots of "Can't I be in your class again?" but most of all, I saw that familiar look in their eyes. The look of excitement and wonder! They were excited to be back, excited to learn and excited to see what this year will hold for them.



 As for me, tonight will be a "sleepless" night wondering what tomorrow holds for me! If today was any indication, it is going to be a GREAT year. A wonderful day at school followed by an AMAZING (but sweaty) workout! I am so excited to see what I am going to learn from the 20 or so new faces in my room. I am sure that each one of them will change me in some way and I am looking forward to seeing how! The best part of teaching is that everyday, every class, every year is different!




2 comments:

  1. A great post Jodi and I love reading your enthusiasm in your words. You are lucky to be working on such an awesome staff. My staff also shared artifacts from their summer vacation, although it was during our Pro-D last week while I was presenting at another school. I now get to hear the stories 1:1 which has been great too.

    I think we may have one of your school's kinders at our school this year in grade one. When I know a name and confirm his kinder school I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen!! It is going to be an exciting year and I can't wait to blog about all the things I learn!

    ReplyDelete