Friday, August 17, 2012

"Exercising" my demons

This whole blogging process started for me way back in May when I set the goal of running a 5km. If you have followed my posts, you will know that this is still a goal I am working on and one I hope to accomplish very soon! While I know I should put a date on this goal, I am reluctant to...but I know it will happen very soon.

Today I went for a run at the gym as it was WAY too hot to run at the track as I had been. I have been following  a 12 week running plan, but today I decided to take a break from that and "get out of own head" and push through some mental blocks. The goal of today's run was to not stop!


I hopped on the treadmill and set the time for 33 minutes and decided that I was just going to run! My friend Miriam had given me some great advice of slowing my pace down to be able to run for long, so I starred off at 4.5 MPH and I ran there for 23 minutes straight (minus a couple quick water sips). In the past this where I often "jumped" off the treadmill. I have never had trouble starting, but it was finishing that has always been my issue. Today was about proving to myself that the voices in my head were wrong!


I was so proud of myself as this is the longest I have even run without stopping...so I decided to kick it up a notch! With 10 minutes to go, I upped my pace to 5.0 MPH and then with 4 minutes to go up to 5.5! By the end of the 33 minutes I had run just over 4km, but more importantly, I didn't stop!! The best part, I probably could have done more if I didn't have to leave to go somewhere. After today's workout, I am more confident than ever that my 5km goal will be reached sooner than later!







No comments:

Post a Comment